Sunday, December 22, 2013

DIY Mint Sugar Scrubs

                                 Tis' The Season for giving!

 My very favorite part about Christmas is giving. I love the look on people's faces when they get a gift that's from the heart. My especial favorite is giving homemade gifts and as budgets are always tight during the holidays, sometimes homemade gifts can be a blessing. 
(Like I said, sometimes. Because sometimes it can get exhausting and expensive still!) This year I had five close girlfriends to gift and I wanted each of their gifts to be special yet frugal.
 So this year I stumbled upon and awesome idea  from Liz Foures over at love grows wild to give small jars of sugar scrub! We all have sugar right?!?

We recently got a new Jo-Ann's at the mall and I'm so happy because
they sell these beautiful little jars for $1 a piece!
 And they're sold separate so you can get as many as you need :)
 (They also have adorable tiny mason jars)
But these were bigger so that's what I went with.

As you can see, I added each of their names with an oil sharpie marker.
I didn't bake them so the names will come off, but it was mostly just to personalize it.

Here's what you're going to need!

Just these simple ingredients! 
The recipe calls for

  • 1½ – 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
  • 1 drop green food coloring
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil


  • That's it! I heated the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for 20 seconds
    Then added the sugar ( 1 1/2 cups) , peppermint extract and one drop of green food coloring 
    (one drop makes it look all nice and minty)
    Mix well in a bowl with a fork until the food coloring is even and the consistency is to your liking.
    If it's too wet, that's when you add a 1/2 cup of sugar.

    I added glitter to the caps with some cheap, glitter nail polish to polish it up a little. 

    Add the mixture and ta-da!!! It looks and SMELLS amazing!! 
    It took 2 batches to fill all 5 containers, and a little extra for me to use myself. I loved it! 

    glittery top!



    After I used this, my skin felt so soft and smooth and I smelled like a peppermint patty. 
    If you're looking for an affordable (or even last minute) gift I would suggest this!!
    Thanks again to love grows wild for this great recipe! 



    No comments:

    Post a Comment